Department of Health and Community Services
The Department Health and Community Services is responsible for a variety of functions, including the following:
- Child Health Services – Well Baby & Immunizations provided by Community Visiting Nurses Association of Somerville.
- Adult Health Services – provided by Community Visiting Nurses Association.
Additional services for men are available at The Men’s Clinic in Somerville. Click here for more information
- Communicable Disease Control – Investigations and reporting, influenza immunizations, West Nile and Lyme disease monitoring.
- Food Safety – facility plan review, facility inspections, complaint investigations, suspected food borne disease investigations, food handler training, food facility licensing.
- Nuisance Complaints – Nuisance complaints are addressed under the following three sections of the Municipal Code (click on each topic to view the Code) Sanitation Noise Dogs Cats and Other Animals
- Water Quality – well water sampling & analysis; well permits issued; water pollution investigations, public non-community water well monitoring; septic system percolation (soil permeability) tests. When needed, potable wells must be abandoned by a licensed well driller certified to seal wells under direct permit issued by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. In addition, septic system abandonment is conducted under inspection by the Township Plumbing Inspector at the time of public sanitary sewer connection.
- Rabies Control – animal bite investigations, specimen sampling, exposure assessments, rabies immunization clinics for cats and dogs.
- Tobacco Age of Sale – investigations & enforcement.
- Environmental Health – air, solid waste, hazardous material discharge investigations, radon test kits, septic investigations.
- Pet Safety – click here for pet safety advice offered by the New Jersey Poison Control Center.
- Avian Influenza (i.e. bird flu) – click here for current information.
The Director of Human Services, Chris Poulsen, can be reached at (908) 725-6300 ext. 5210, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.